[RC] Rice bran vs ground flax seed - Sherman

Since rice bran has the potential to cause a problem with the calcium/phosphorous ratio, would it be reasonable to replace it with ground flax seed. I feed the rice bran to help keep weight on one of my horses and have recently added the flax seed due to some skin itchiness on a couple of other horses, so I decided to give it to all of them. It made me start wondering about the possibility of just using flax seed. Any ideas on this?
Kathy