[RC] Rider fitness - Beth Leggieri

A testimonial to the human benefits of endurance riding (prompted by the current rider weight thread):

I am 55 years old and plunged into endurance two years ago, having absolutely no idea what I was getting myself into.  The humor in the amount of time I was soon spending reading about equine conditioning (cardiovascular fitness, metabolic balance, proper nutrition, obsessing over liquid intake, replacing lost electrolytes, etc.) all hit me on a hot August day in Texas when I very nearly had a heat stroke on a 15-mile conditioning ride.  It became apparent that if I was to do right by my horse (and my riding companions), I was going to have to do some serious conditioning of myself.  And yes, upon reflection, I was a "10-pounds-per-decade statistic," so you do the math.

Soon I began applying the equine conditioning principles I had been studying to myself--eating proper fuel (nutritious and balanced meals in smaller portions) and LSD appropriate for my level of conditioning--with the goal of cardiovascular fitness and corny, but true, "To Finish is To Win" became my mantra.  In the process of becoming aware of what I was eating and how to condition, I became aware of the sad perception that many Americans have--that one must be on some "diet" and therefore they become caught up in the mental game of winning or losing.  Somewhere along the way we've lost common sense and the ability to count calories.  Good grief--without really thinking about it I lost 35 pounds and felt good enough to actually work out 3 times a week.  My legs became stronger and for the first time in my life I had upper body strength.  I know I am a better, more balanced rider as a result.  Offloading hay and grain became much easier--and rather than having to take a nap after a hard ride, I was exhilirated by the experience!

Perhaps this perspective will diffuse some of the frustration we are feeling with this current discussion thread.  Bottom line,  we all want what's best for our horses--and that implies being responsible owners/riders.  The goal was to become healthy and fit (for my horse, for me, and also for my fellow riders--not stroking out on them on the  trail and ruining their perfectly lovely ride).  It was never about seeking society's approval, a short-term motivation for sure, or even weight loss.

And thanks to the sport of endurance I AM getting physically fit for perhaps the first time in my life.  Truly, the sport--and all that it encompasses--has been my driving motivation.  And thanks to the senior riders out there who have been a role model for me--each of these ladies (and gentlemen!) have been an inspiration to me.  Where else can you see gray-haired folks pull in at dusk on a Friday night after a long drive--with a trailer full of horses and all the gear/feed for a ride, set up camp (grandmothers climbing to trailer roofs for hay!), get to a ride meeting, sleep a few hours, and then be down the trail near dawn for a very physically demanding day?  And maintain their sense of humor through it all?  And by their very presence and participation be a silent encouragement to all of us?  I want to be part of this for a very, very long time.

And it sure is fun to watch my response to the question--"Why did you decide to finally start exercising?"  Not too many folks get it:  "For my horse."

No longer a lurker, Beth in Texas (now just to get through another August in Texas!)

Do you Yahoo!?