Re: [RC] Carpel Tunnel - heidi

Anyone out there have carpel tunnel problems?  I'm not riding too much
because my hands go numb and that's not a great combo with horses that
want  to go.  I'm going to have surgery on at least one of my arms and
I'd love  to hear from someone who's had the surgery and what riding was
like before,  after, recovery time, etc.  You can e-mail me privately,
if you want.

Hi, Janelle--

I also suffer from carpal tunnel, and I had the surgery on my right hand
(which was the worst) just over a year ago.  I rode the 50 at Home on the
Range (WA) just a few weeks after surgery, and still had my hand in a
splint.  Worst problem during rehab was that hubby had to help me tighten
my girth for a few weeks.  (That, and he had to do all the feeding for the
first few weeks.)  My right hand is problem-free now, and the only thing I
notice is a bit of weakness in bringing my thumb and little finger
together.  That's even going away, and it isn't anything that impacts
anything I do.

I still have issues with my left hand, but they are not as bad now that
I've had the right hand done, since I no longer have to use my left hand
to "pinch hit" when the right hand goes numb, since it doesn't go numb
anymore.  So I may be able to avoid the surgery on my left hand, since it
isn't as bad.

My only regret is not having the surgery done a year or two sooner--I was
convinced that I had a pinched nerve in my neck, which happily turned out
not to be the case!

Heidi