Re: [RC] Rider Weight - heidi

I don't normally post except to ask a question once in awhile but this
has really hit home. I am 5'9" and 210 lbs. After 3 kids in 3 years and
a very bad 6 year depression I weigh about 80 lbs more than I want to. I
am also working on losing weight and will be starting riding lessons
soon to help me balance better on my boy before we try our first ld in
June. I will be riding heavyweight and am not ashamed of it. Frankly if
anybody wants to comment on my weight go for it, as a matter of fact
take it up with my horse hehe. He'll prolly kick you for it. When I
approach him with a saddle he gets excited. He loves our rides and has
no problems carrying me. He is a 15 hand qh/arab, nice heavy bone
structure and huge feet. He is also my best friend and thats why I am
trying to lose weight and improve my riding. Not because he can't handle
it but because I feel he shouldn't have to. I just wanted to say to all
the riders out there that don't look like models in their tights, don't
worry who's in front or behind you worry about the guy (or gal)
underneath you. If they're happy then don't worry about it!

Jessica, you're right on the mark.  My circumstances have been similar,
except for the three kids part.  Moving, depression, and illness all
conspired to add pounds.  I topped out at 188 (I'm only 5'1"), and the key
to getting a handle on that (as well on some of the causitive problems)
was to GET BACK IN THE SADDLE!  It is the riding that has GOTTEN me back
on track to better fitness and weight loss, and I could not have done it
WITHOUT the riding.  I did need a hysterectomy, and got that behind
me--which helped immensely--but it took getting back on the horses.

I did start back with a stout, older, former 4-H horse--he had NO issues
carrying me, and was also a kind enough horse to put up with my lack of
balance, etc.  He also does not have the capability to be
competitive--with or without my weight (although I'm sure he'll be
thrilled this year, as he is slated to carry a much lighter junior rider).
We did have to work a bit at saddle fit, and got that conquered.

The bottom line, though, is that it has taken nearly two years for this to
translate into weight loss.  I've now dropped down to under 170 (had to
sign up as a MW this year!), and do certainly hope that I can continue
this trend.  I've worked my way "up" to riding a more athletic horse (as
my balance and fitness improved), and he likewise had no issues carrying
my weight last year--in fact, earned one High Vet Score at a ride, as we
began to sneak our way into the back of the Top Ten.  It takes time and
work to make a difference on the scales, and part of that work is to get
out there on the horse!  You can be "concerned" about your equine partner
by not going faster than he can handle, by getting him fit by riding him,
and by making sure your saddle fits.  But by all means, GO RIDE, and enjoy
yourself!

Heidi