RE: [RC] Losing Weight - Jim Holland

Dayna....

Thank you!  Well said.  I am also a "lurker" and normally do not post to
Ridecamp.  For those of you that don't know me, I sit in the "co-pilot" seat
for Jim Holland. I am his "conscience"...and he frequently asks me to
"review" his posts. (However, sometimes he just ignores me) Grrrr!

I have been fighting the battle of the bulge for many years.  First let me
state that I think the world is a little confused over what they think a
"normal/average" weight for a woman should be.  Most people will look at a
woman who is a size six and say that is "normal/average", when the reality
is that "normal/average" is a size ten/twelve.  With that said, let me first
applaud anyone who is trying to loose weight. And yes, I do think that the
weight of the rider has an impact on the horse.  Our horses Sunny and Magic
are Jim's Endurance horses, but Sunny is MY barn horse.  I know that he does
indeed feel my additional 20 plus pounds and that is one of my reasons for
wanting to lose them.  Jim has NEVER made an issue over my weight as far as
"looks" go; however he does give me encouragement in my efforts to lose the
excess pounds so that I can be a healthier, more active person.  Jim has
been a great support system for me...he does the cooking and prepares
wonderful, healthy meals with proper serving sizes, packs me a healthy lunch
and even  prepares me fresh fruit cups so that I always have healthy
"snacks" available.  He also makes sure that I have the time to exercise by
taking over a lot of the things that I normally do here and at the barn.  So
folks, instead of negative comments, give encouragement and support. By the
way, six years ago I weighed in at 212 pounds and wore a size 20.  With a
healthier life style which included healthy meals and exercise, and NO
DIETS, PILLS OR MEAL SUBSITUTES, I lost and have kept off 58 pounds.  I
still have 20 plus pounds to go...am into a size 14 but more important I AM
HEALTHY!!!!  Blood pressure and cholesterol levels are great.  So, folks, do
try to loose that extra weight, but do it the right way.  You and your
horses will be happier for it, and hopefully it will add ACTIVE years to
your life.

Joan Tipton (still pleasantly plump but working on it), Sun of Dimanche+,
and Mahada Magic