[RC] starting mustang/size - Marlene Moss

Chiming in with it does depend – but with a caveat.  I don’t think that size is the most important thing in determining if the horse is ready to be ridden.  I would really consider getting radiographs of the knees before starting young, especially if the horse is large.  I have a coming 2yo arab mustang cross.  He has been over 14 hands since the day he turned 1.  He will be 2 in June and is already 14.3, but it would be incredibly foolish to ride him even if he does look better built than many older horses.  His sire (arab) is 15.2 or more and his mom is 14.2 – but I think her genes encouraged the high growth rate.  The guy even has a chest on him already!

I know he dealt with a little physitis since he grew so fast – the growth plates just could not keep up with how fast his body was telling him to grow.  It wasn’t from over feeding protein, he only got grass hay (first year wasn’t even that great because of the drought) and a handful of a 3-way grain.  I had considered selling him when we were in a bit of financial trouble, but I was too worried that even someone with the best of intentions would ride him too early.  Especially because he will probably be the easiest horse ever to start.

At most, I will get on his back late in his 3rd year, light riding at 4 and nothing serious until 5 and wouldn’t even consider fast rides.  I do think this is more cautious than needed in many cases, but since I do know his history I think it will pay in the long run.  I also think that his environment (40 acres with plenty of elevation, rocks and downed trees) will help strengthen soft tissues to support any bone weakness he might still have, even though all looks good now.

An aside – I started his mom at age 7 (I’d seen her buck!) and it was like she already knew what to do and was just waiting for me.  We did all her training on the trail – I almost feel like I haven’t taught her a thing.  She did her first 25 2 months after I got on her back, with another rider.  And she’s so calm she stays laying down watching the 50’s leave in the morning – she doesn’t miss an opportunity to sleep or eat!

Marlene (and Taz the monster boy!)

Marlene Moss

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com (saddle fit for the horse in motion)

www.mphr.org (Mustang Performance Horse Registry)