[RC] Starting mustangs under saddle - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Char char.antuzzi@xxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, you need to make sure those knees are closed, that is why
I said it depends on the horse. I also was very careful to say
that you could start the younger horses, as long as their bodies
are ready, BUT, I said no hard core training, only short rides.
I don't want anyone ever to think that I say go out and ride a
2 year old horse into the ground. Thats not at all what I want
my point to be. My point is this.... yes mustangs can be started
as youngsters, again depending on the horse. You also have to
figure out the mental part of the horse, is that horse ready to
start, can they handle the pressure, how much pressure, when to
back off, when to ask for more.

This is going off track, the original question was... what age
can you start a mustang. I just want to let people know that it
really does depend on the body and the mental attitude of the
horse you are working with. So far, yes I have had a lot of good
results starting the bigger bodied colts between 3 and 4 years
old and as old as eight years old. Again, not pounding them into
the ground, but rather getting them going. Standing when getting
saddled, stepped up from both sides, creeks, bridges, dogs, cars
basic stuff you need for you and the horses safety. It doesn't
mean they are ready to start their endurance jobs at 3 years old

Regards
Char