[RC] endurance bloodlines - katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sue Andrews said:

As I'm interested in the breeding of endurance horses
I would like to know from USA does any one stallion
{or several} stand out as a sire line of your top
endurance horses.

Certainly the most prominent stallion in endurance breeding in the US is
Bezetal, and he has done very well as a sire line as well (i.e. a sire or
sires).

Kosciusko (a *Witez II son, who appears all over American endurance horse
pedigrees) was also a sire of note and has several sons who are also sires
of note.

Another prominent sire is Sierra Fadwah (a Fadjur son out of a full sister
to Bezetal); however, he is not noted as a sire of sires as, to my
knowledge, he does not have a single son standing at stud, and he died last
year.  But there are many people who are using his daughters for breeding
endurance horses.

Other prominent breeding programs, but I can't tell you much about their
herd sires (other people might be able to tell you more), are Rushcreek and
the Hyannis Cattle Company (HCC).

The Belessemo stud is also pretty well known, their herd sire was Belessemo
Trad, and they are standing a few of his sons too, whose foals are showing
promise.  However, this is not the only sire line that Belessemo Arabians
has used, and they have produced many other successful endurance horses,
including endurance sires from those other sire lines. Their website is:
http://www.belesemo.com/ which will tell you more about their breeding
program and the lines that they use.

Wazir's Kahraty has been a successful sire of winning horses, and some of
his son's foals are just beginning to hit the competition trail and are
also showing great promise.

I know nothing about anything anybody may be doing on the east coast or any
of the sires of note there.  This doesn't mean that there aren't any, just
that I couldn't name them to save my life :).

This is not intended as an exhaustive list, but rather to highlight some of
the stallions that were the sires of multiple successful endurance horses
some of whom have also gone on to be used as good breeding stock of
successful endurance horses by people other than the owner of the original
stallion (an important criteria for me...somebody besides ME has to think
that my stallion's foals are breeding quality before I would consider my
stallion a "proven" sire line).

Some stallions are too young to meet this criteria, and may yet.  However,
it is one of the requirements (if you ask me) to be considered a successful
"sire line" of endurance horses.

There are countless stallions that have thrown one or two good endurance
horses (many of which are geldings so we have no idea how that sire might
breed on :)); consequently, they are not proven as sires of endurance
horses, merely capable of throwing one or two good horses.  Some of these
horses may also be capable sires and capable founders of sire lines, but
what it takes to prove it may be beyond the means or the inclination of
that stallion's owner/s.  However, if you look at a stallion that has
thrown a few good endurance horses among a multitude of foals and/or the
foals are old enough to be used as breeding stock for endurance horses and
aren't being used as such, this may be a good indication that the stallion
not only is not proven as a capable sire of endurance horses, but also that
he doesn't have much capability either.  It may also, however, denote that
that stallion's foals are capable of disciplines other than endurance as
well and are being used for that instead (since there is, generally
speaking, more money, and more immediate results/rewards in disciplines
where you don't have to wait 10 years to find out if your breeding
decisions were right), and most of the foals aren't even being tried in
endurance.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

http://mail2web.com/ .