Fwd: Re: [RC] mustangs - Dave Smith

--- Begin Message ---
Sorry, but it really does depend.  It depends on the horse and the rider.  Some
of the folks at the KBR website tell me they won't ride until the colt is 4.
Hank Curry, director of the mustang training program in the Nevada Correctional
System's Carson City facility, had his inmate trainers riding my wife's horse
at two.  I plan to ride my three-year old mainly for pleasure this year and
begin working him slowly into long distance rides when he is four.  Hopefully
by the time he is five or six he * and I * will be ready to consider the Tevis.
There is also a lot of variation in the confirmation of mustangs, depending on
where they come from and the genetic stock that has infused their gene pool.
Even within the same herd management area there is quite a bit of variation.
My wife's horse "Diego," and my horse, "Hermano" both come off the Virginia
Range Management Area.  Diego is rangy with a long back.  Hermano is much
blockier and clearly has a bit of draft blood in him with feet two sizes larger
than normal for his size.  So it really is not possible to say a mustang should
be ridden at a given age. It does depend on the horse.

"Karla Watson" <karlawatson@xxxxxxxxxxx> 3/23/2005 10:45:52 AM >>>
At what age do you start riding a mustang--generally speaking? Are they like
arabs and need to start them later? Please don't tell me it depends on the
horse, I just need to know if its like a quarter horse--2 yrs, or an arab--3 or
more?? Just a rough idea. Thanks!