[RC] The Cougar Prowl story part I - firedancefarms

Well Cougar Prowl was an adventure this year!  Here is a brief story...
On Friday the refuge was on fire.  Bruce, being the manager of the area, was busy all day with the fire.  He came in early in the evening and said he was going to set a backfire so the trail will be clear in the am.  We were sitting around at camp and watching this fire...just across the road from our campground.  The flames were very impressive and the fire just kept getting bigger.  The wind was blowing the opposite direction and we weren't worried.  After all, we knew Bruce was setting the backfire and if things got out of hand, the firetrucks from Beggs would come down.  I guess in retrospect no one COULD leave, as the fire was right next to the road on the way out!
Well, Bruce got home about 2am, and when we woke up at 5am I said "well, I guess you'll have to remark the trail, as all of the ribbons have burned up!"  WHAT?  he says.  WHAT FIRE???  OMG, HE didn't backfire that blaze!  He was on a fire further up on the ridge!  An arson had come by Friday night and set the entire thing on fire right across from camp!  If he had set the other side of the road.....
Well, anyway, here we are, it's 7am and we have NO TRAIL.  It is too smokey to ride down by the river, and besides, the place is still on fire!!  So, I think, heck, we'll just ride to the winery...25 miles of dirt road, but by then the smoke will be cleared and we can do the trail in the pm.  I call the winery and ask if we can have a vet check there.  Luckily I had met them last fall and told them about our endurance ride, but he seemed to not remember.  I know they must have thought we were out of our minds.  But, just the day before, a cement truck had tried to cross the bridge and the bridge had caved in....so that way was out!  Yikes, what do we do?  55 people standing in camp, horses saddled, and ready to ride!  (endurance riders are the greatest)
So, Richard Crowe, our newfound friend and message therapist, was helping and suggested we ride to his house...10 miles away.  I would grab my mare (I NEVER bring a spare horse to my ride.this was the first time) and go mark another four mile trail...some beautiful trail on the waterfowl levies, and Richard and my son Jesse would flag to Richard's house.  Problem solved, for now....
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians
http://pages.prodigy.net/firedancefarms