RE: [RC] favorite saddle pads for English saddles - Mike Sofen

I do not like the feel of a thick saddle pad…I like being as close the horses back as I can be.  All of the coolback/woolback pads are too thick, even without the foam.  I’ve used the natural sheepskin pad from Synergist with excellent results, although it does require regular cleaning.

I’m currently using the pad from Gaston Mercier for both training and competition.  It has no foam padding, just a Sympatex layer next to the horse and a cordura top.  Needs no regular cleaning, since the Sympatex is a soft, rubbery material with holes in it to breath and let sweat run out.  I just rinse it off every so often.  The Sympatex provides a little cushioning, but not much, so it does require a well fit saddle.  Surprisingly, it is much less expensive than other high tech pads, even though it is an extremely well designed and crafted pad.

Mike

Karen Casemier <kcrazzmatazz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I recently sold my Bob Marshall sport saddle after falling in love with a
Duett Companion Trail saddle - finally, a conventional saddle that fit my
round mare wonderfully. I am thrilled to be back in an English saddle, but
now that it is time to start conditioning, I'm looking to get some more
endurance-specific saddle pads (right now, I'm just riding in cheapy AP
pads). I know this topic has been covered before, but I haven't been able to
use the right search terms to find the discussions in the archives. I don't
need anything like a supracor or a skito - my saddle fits my mare really
well and will be profressionally reflocked after a month or so of
conditioning, so I don't want extra padding to disrupt the fit. I'm assuming
I'll probably want wool, because the main goal will be breathability. I also
prefer something that is easy to clean - ideally I can throw it in the
washing machine on delicate cycle (can I do that with 100% wool pads?). So
far, I'm planning on the Toklat pads, sans any inserts. I'm also interested
in the Dixie Midnight pads - could I use a cheapie pad over top of these?
I'm concerned that my mare, who is very thin skinned, might night appreciate
the Dixie. Are there any other pads you really like?

Thanks!