[RC] Equipedic pad question - Jennifer Fleet

Hi all,

I have a question about using an Equipedic pad with a saddle that bridges.

I ride in a Desoto saddle (which I love as far as MY comfort) but have recently noticed that after 2 years of riding my gelding in it, it has started bridging on his high-withered, dippy-back which I suspect has gotten "dippier" - or maybe I just never noticed it bridging before. I've never had bad back scores. I confirmed the bridging problem by sprinking talcum powder all over his back, setting the saddle in place, then lifting it off and looking at the pattern of powder on the underside of the saddle.

I was also noticing that I had sweat marks behind the withers and over the loin, but none in the middle part of his back. The area behind the withers also had roughed up hair after a ride, like there had been rubbing.

So...I just got my new Equipedic pad today and went for a little ride. After, I untacked and studied his back. I now have sweat in the middle area, although not quite as sweaty as the front and back. The hair in the area behind the withers was smooth this time, not all ruffled up.

I then studied the dirt marks on the underside of the brand new pad. Again, definitely more dirt in front and back (could be from movement of shoulders and hips?) but I do have a faint dirt pattern in the middle, with even more dirt in a 2" strip on either side of the spine. The last time I checked this with a clean, white underpad, I had no dirt in the middle, but plenty front and back.

Is it really possible for a pad to improve a bridging problem, without adding shims or bridge pads? It seems like it might be helping, from what I saw tonight. I haven't ridden a real long ride yet, but the sweat and dirt patterns from this short ride seem better. Does this mean it's really helping even out the pressure? Seems to good to be true, and you know what they say....

I've been thinking about buying a treeless saddle to solve the saddle fit problem, but now I'm thinking I might be able to stick with my Desoto. Wishful thinking?

Thoughts?

Jennifer