[RC] LD Versus CTR - Carolyn Burgess

Sara:

I saw your post on Ridecamp about doing LD versus CTR
(under ECTRA).  I understand why you would want to do
LD instead of CTR, but let me give you a couple of
reasons why CTR is a good learning experience and
should be considered as a starting point before doing
LD/endurance (I have done both endurance (no LDs) and
CTR, both via ECTRA).  1) CTR requires that you and
your learn pacing.  You have a window of time that you
have to complete in.  2) It teaches the horse patience
at the start line.  They have to wait until their turn
to leave.  This helps them learn to deal with the
potential chaotic start that accompanies endurance/LD
starts.  If they don't know patience and starting when
you tell them to, it can be a very dangerous place to
be at the start of an endurance ride. 3) If you look
at the top riders in our area, they all start their
horses in CTR. 4) To finish is to win, that goes for
CTR as well.  So the element of subjectiveness for the
vetting part of the CTR shouldn't matter.  It is also
a learning process should you be lucky enough to top
10 and choose to stand for BC.  5) Some of the best
rides in the NE are CTR's.  Here is a list of the best
rides I have been to that are CTR's: My absolute
favorite - NE Morab in Leverett, MA.  Scribners Mills
in ME - some of the nicest footing I have ever been
on, beautiful stream crossings and some really fun
stuff (a circular, uphill climb that you can just
canter up and let the horse go). CT Morgan Harvest -
one of the few Sunday rides, falls around Halloween,
challenging footing, but a great ride and fabulous
hospitality by the Brooks.  Hidden Brook in ME.  Can
be either nice weather or freezing cold, well that's
Maine in the spring.  Nice trail, well managed ride
and a welcome first ride after our crappy New England
weather.  Doncaster 25/35 - just a spectacular ride
held in conjuction with an endurance ride.  They call
it a Festival, a complete understatement.  The Stacy's
do an incredible job in managing this ride.  The most
fantastic trails, I did more jumping on this trail
than I've done at alot of hunter paces.  Well marked,
did I mention that I loved the trails at this ride.  I
know there are alot more CTR's that are sanctioned by
ECTRA, but these are the ones I know.

If your horse is barefoot, that isn't a problem as
long as the footing is appropriate or that you wear
hoof protection, Easy Boots are acceptable.  Please
consider doing one as they are lots of fun.

Carolyn Burgess
Email: carolyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Website: http://www.doubleheartranch.com
Phone: 1-978-897-6624