[RC] Rides of March - DreamWeaver

What a great ride. Trail was well maked, and the vets were great. This ride was not a cupcake ride a true 50. My hat is off to ride management. I made it in with just 45 min. to spare. This was my 1000 mile on one horse. Beside the hairy horse and the 2 months lost conditioning because of snow my wonderful "backyard" no paper horse came to a finish. We may have been in last place but she will always be first in my heart.

Hi Dovie -- Congratulations on making a 1000 miles! That is a really great accomplishment, and not something that everybody can do. Last place was actually ME! :^) We were just behind you, me and Jackie Floyd. Chief was given some really cool bridle bangles for finishing last. I asked if they would make him go faster? (if so, he's wearing them at the next ride!) Actually, finishing this ride period makes me very proud of him! 60 started and we finished in 36th place, last. It was a very difficult ride, no doubt about that! By all accounts from riders who rode it last year, this year was actually harder, and measured longer on the GPS. I can't compare because I didn't ride last year, but I know that this was indeed a very challenging ride with a lot of climbing. The trail was very well marked, the food was plentiful and for the most part the footing was excellent. The only issue with the footing which is beyond RM's control is those danged bumps and whoop-t-doos that the m/c's put in! They (m/c's) were out there and I think I encountered some of the rudest ones ever. Many were very nice and considerate, but we had some that were just uncaring, unaware and dangerous.

On the hoof boot contest -- two riders finished the ride with hoof boots on. Dave Rabe (with 2 easyboots), and myself (with 4 Epics). Dave won a new Easyboot Epic. I rode Chief for the first time with the Epics. Over 4 bare feet. Chief did great in them, they fit perfectly, stayed on --never came off! I can't believe how clean the boots were when I took them off at the end, considering how much deep sand, mud, and snow that we had gone thru. Wow! Also, he had no rubbing, or sore spots, or warm spots, and today you'd never even know he had done a ride yesterday. I'm pretty impressed.

Karen
& Super Chief :)