Re: [RC] Biltmore Challenge - Mary Ann Spencer

I did a 25 miler back in 2000 when I was working in NC.  It was a great ride with great trails and scenery.  My daughter did it with me.  Both horses barefoot.  Unfortunately, we had to stop suddenly enroute and neither of us got a completion as the VERY FUSSY vet said the horses were off.  My daughter's horse was pulled after first loop and mine completed in good time but was off so they would not give me a completion.  I could not even feel or see what was off in her rear end.  Had no further problems with lameness, just some sort of soreness from the truck having to avoid a collision.  Would have gotten a completion in TX but no best condition, etc so be aware the vets are VERY picky.  Also they did not like our horses UNSHOED.  The trails are WIDE and not very rocky.  We had been riding trails in NC for 8 months at this time.   We have no rocks at our place in TX.  In a couple of months they horses adjjusted to more rocks in NC.  There are a good many slow climb hills as I recall.

The ride fills up so get your papers in early and good luck. mas
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:19 PM
Subject: [RC] Biltmore Challenge

Several riders from my barn are considering doing the Biltmore Challenge 50.
I was wondering if anyone on ridecamp has done this ride and could give me
any particulars.  Does anyone know any of the history of this ride, starts
vs. completions.  As a rule, how many participate in this ride and how
difficult is this ride?  Does anyone have any helpful information for us to
make a educated decision?
Karen