[RC] re: Easyboot sizing - KathyZ1

Hi Laurie:
Let me say that now that you've pulled your horses' shoes, you'll find their feet will spread out over time, so you will most likely eventually need larger boots for all four feet.  Try not to go too crazy trying to fit them exactly right now.  Just get the boots on there.  Just yesterday I was marveling about my gelding who came to me shod a year ago.   He had underun heels and his feet weren't in the greatest of shape.   Now his feet are HUGE and round.  I can't believe how big his feet are and the old easy boots I bought him when I got him just don't fit him anymore. The underun heels are all but gone too.  It's still there a bit on his right as that's his leaning foot but even that one looks better.
So be ready for a tootsie growth spirt.  :-)
Kathy

Do you always use the same size easyboot on your horse? Like if they are right at the end of a size and they have a little hoof growth, do you rasp them and put on their normal size or do you use the next size up, or do you wait till they wear down to that size?
This is on a barefoot horse. Transitioning from shoes on front only. But will need boots for gravel etc. or when they wear down.Also not sure with moving/ with a farrier issue.
I have gotten 2 different foot measurements when ordering boots.The width seems to be the same , but the length changes. So do you get boots for the longer length (he is right on the border)-- Or do you keep your horse "worn" to the same measurements? .
He fit the old #OO perfect- but they changed the hoof boot sizing . It still seemed to be the same, but when I got the boots they were shorter, and his measurements changed from when i took the old ones , which were on shod feet, to the new measurements, since I Pulled his shoes. So I realised they were too short, and when comparing the boots, they are more round and shorter in the new #OO. So I am sending them back for the #O.'s
Or do you just get bunches (??) of sizes and see what fits at the time?

2nd question , we have a older TB who may occasionaly get ridden -but pulled his shoes . He gets ouchey on rocks-- But he measures witdth wise --#0 but lengthwise ##2 --- long narrow feet. Would #2 easyboots work on him? or is there another choice? This would be something I'd get , probably used --incase we wanted to take him out on a short trailride and wanted some protection .

Basically trying to get the hand of using them.