[RC] Fwd: [RC]?? forward seat - Marinera

In a message dated 3/9/05 6:14:02 PM, JANUSTUDIO@xxxxxx writes:

They said to put your weight toward his rear as that was where he is pushing
from, and doesn't interfere with his front end.

A cowboy once told me this is correct.  He said if you wanted a pick-up to go up a steep hill, you put weight in the rear end.  Whether that correlates with a horse, I am not sure, but it makes you think about it a bit.  Julie Suhr
--- Begin Message ---
Saw an interesting thing while watching the Parelli program on RFDTV. They
were talking about how to negotiate a hill, up and down...
They said to put your weight toward his rear as that was where he is pushing
from, and doesn't interfere with his front end.   I have always thought, 'been
told', to lean forward and out of the saddle, to 'help' him go up. Staying on
the vertical with the trees. The Parelli's stayed seated in the saddle, both
western and english, but did lean forward slightly. NATRC would kill you with
points off for keeping your butt in the saddle...
I have become so accustomed to standing in the stirrups while going up hill,
that I would have to think about sitting.  So, which is right?

Also, watched Linda P. explain 'balance' while ridding. Looked way wrong and
against what I've always strived for ~ but it really works!  Had my
Granddaughter try it to help her seat while riding her very bouncy/rough horse
at a
trot. It worked very well, her horse likes it too. It works for me too when I'm
able to accomplish it. My back isn't as supple as hers....<g>   Settles the
horse and both of us become more relaxed.

Instead of sitting up on your seat bones, let your back flex back so that you
are sitting on your tail bone. (almost on your pockets) She calls it
squishing. So, while posting ~ squish when coming down. I was surprised at how
much my
horse prefers it. She also has her riders lean way back when going at a
canter, you know how the cowboy is folded down on his pockets... with feet way
forward!  Horse immediately relaxed into a nice canter instead of trying to
run.
Exaggerated at first to get the idea, but the results were amazing.

Anyone else seen this or tried it?

Jan