[RC] trailer drop down windows - Mike & Kathy Kelly

I was very excited to get my first new trailer last year, and especially liked the drop down windows so my horse could see out.  But this weekend, after Gabriel did his best 50 ever at Old Pueblo (a wonderful ride, thanks Marilyn for all your hard work!), I loaded him in the trailer and left him tied while I ran to the porta-potty before leaving.  I generally leave him loose in the trailer, and planned to untie him before we left for home.

But in the few minutes I was gone he apparently got his halter caught on the aluminum (inside) drop down and paniced.  When I arrived he was loose in the trailer without a halter, had several cuts on his face (way too close to his eyes for comfort), and the aluminum drop down was very bent up.  He is going to be fine (yes, the chiro/massage lady will check his poll next week, he pulled so hard he bent the halter buckle), but I want to make sure that never happens again.

I'm taking my trailer in Friday.  I want the inside aluminum drop downs removed from both windows.  I'm thinking of having permanent bars put over the windows (spaced close enough) and may also have a screen covering so stuff won't fly in.  I'll leave the solid drop down windows (outside) as they are, but need to be able to open them to get more ventilation.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or does what I have planned sound like the safest set-up?

Also, the mats that came with the trailer are very smooth and slick (grrrrrr).  I am planning on replacing all of them with the grooved mats that provide much better traction.  Or is there a way to roughen up the smooth mats??

Thanks,
Kathy Kelly
Parks AZ