Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 8:01 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Lack of fresh drinking water on trail

I get the humour :) but seriously, I was wondering about this too ever since I was told that a possible source of Leptospirosis bacteria could be a beaver-made lake near the trails where I ride. I have always let my horses drink there. Now I feel like I shouldn't. Maybe it isn't quite the same as mud puddles....
Given the choice between no water and that water, I would let the horse drink. But if there is alternative water, I would definitely go for the alternative.
Lepto is pretty scary given its link to moon blindness. My horse was tested and came back with a positive for lepto. The exposure could have been from something other than the "lake" water (we also haev lots of raccoons, and other animals that can have lepto). She may never get sick but it does make me worry.

Lysane