Re: [RC] Horse trainer payment - Lysane Cree

Gives it a different perspective looking at it from the trainer's point of view as well. The same issue of horse abandonment comes in boarding situations and I have seen that a number of times - the horse that the barn owner gets left with is most often a much bigger pain in the butt to sell than anything and the barn owner hardly ever gets enough money back to cover expenses, given that an extra horse was probably not needed and chances are is not the type you would have bought for yourself.  I hadn't really thought of it that way regarding training.

/Another issue that no one has brought up about paying in advance, is
/the
/subject of horse abandonment by people who have gotten in over their
/head
/financially, realized life was easier without that particular horse, or
/for whatever
/reason, didn't have the money or the inclination to pay when the time
/came.
/Sure, a trainer can put a lien against the horse, keep it and then sell
/it to
/recover the costs, but the longer they have to keep someone else's
/horse, the
/less chance they will be able to recoup their expenses.
/The only time I sent a horse for training, I paid in advance gladly.
jeri