Re: [RC] e'lytes and supplements - Truman Prevatt

If the AERC wants a research project, how about correlating the types of treatments over time. When I started in the late 80's tie up were common place - in the hot humid conditions. It was not unusual to see horses peeing black. Seems today colics are common and we don't (at least at the rides I go to) see many tie ups. There is two differences between then and now. The type and the amount of electrolytes used. I hear my first talk on electrolytes in 1989 at a clinic from Dr. Ridgeway so they have been around for a long time. On the other hand we all rolled our own in those days. Either the Ridgway mix or the Fraizer mix and maybe some others. Today we have many different mixes various components. Many of these components have organic salts along with inorganic salts.

Could it be that it's not the electrolytes per se but the type given and/or the amounts given? Many riders give a lot more these days than in say '98. Before we condemn, it would be nice to have some understanding of what is going on. My guess too little - predisposes many horses to tieing up, to much may predispose it to colic. Hopefully the data is available to take a look and try to make some sense out of it. As they say, lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater. Too much of a good thing may ture out to be the issue.

Truman

Laura Hayes wrote:

I have stopped using everything but Se/E and Cosequin. I did 1200+ miles on five different horses last year with no e'lytes at all. I realize I did not set the world on fire in the speed department, but I honestly think that all this shit people are giving their horses is not helping and may hinder the horse's well being.
I know...someone will tell me I have no hard scientific evidence, but my formerly colicy mare has not coliced once in over 600 miles of competition since I stopped shoving caustic crap down her throat - and I tried the milder brands and different size doses AND adding Neighlox to no avail.
I am glad to see the French team say they use no oral supplements and are successful. Maybe our national team would have been more successful if those poor horses had not been NG TUBED with a very caustic electrolyte at least 6 times in two weeks before the WEC.
Flame away- this is something I feel very strongly about.
Laura Hayes
Vine Cliff Farms
Brocton, NY
AERC# 2741

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman