Re: [RC] French team and horse supplements - heidi

Please Reply to: Liz Henry liz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
========================================Hi all,

Just had a conversation with the coach/trainer of the French endurance
team about horse supplements. He doesn't use ANY! When I pressed him
specifically about e'lytes during a ride like at the WEC in Dubai, he
said they didn't use any. His philosophy is that if the horse is
properly conditioned and has access to the best hay and grain, he needs
nothing else. He said that he experimented with supplements and if the
temp was 100 with high humidity, then he would probably use e'lytes. If
his results for the past several years didn't speak for themselves, I
would be tempted to argue, but..... food for thoughts.

Liz, this trainer makes a good point and I AGREE!!  We are caught up in a
"quick fix" culture, but there is NO supplement that substitutes for a
horse that has the innate capability brought along with good, consistent
training to bring him to his peak potential.  I know I am a minority voice
in this country, but as a ride vet, I feel that I have seen as many or
more problems from improper use of electrolytes than from not enough
electrolytes, and many cases that are chalked up to not enough
electrolytes are REALLY inadequate preparation and/or poor ride strategy.

So far with NO e'lytes our own small program has produced 8 PNER Top 25
placings, two PNER mileage champions, one AERC Top 25 points placement,
one AERC Top 25 mileage placement, and three Jim Jones Top Ten placements.
No great shakes compared to some, perhaps, but we've also not had the
time or resources to campaign.  I've twice won BC on hot, humid rides with
NO e'lytes--in fact, my horses seem to do better relative to other horses
when the conditions ARE bad, and I think it is due at least in part to the
fact that they do NOT rely on outside supplementation.

The French have done a good job of selecting horses that have the
metabolic ability to do the job (far better than the US riders, IMO, who
rely far too heavily on supplementation), and then they have worked their
tails off to get those horses in top shape.  And I think there is a lesson
in that.

Heidi