[RC] horse trainer payment - Lysane Cree

I was wondering how common it is for a horse trainer to ask to be paid up front? I never really thought about it, I guess I just assumed payment was made at the end of training. But it seems that a number of trainers (though not all) ask for the money up front, especially if they do not have their own place and board your horse where they are training it.
I can understand wanting the money right away if there is a board to pay at the beginning of the month, but the money for the "training" part too ?
Comments?

Lysane