[RC] thoughts on pacing-riding in sand, etc. - Ed Kilpatrick

heck jim,  you should have just stuck with our group!   four out five in the group attempted and completed their first 100 miler!  the other was a veteran 100 miler!   maybe that luck would have rubbed off on you.   hey, you will get it next time!

as for pacing,  we basically had the same plan you did.  2 hours for those 15 mile loops.  we hit it pretty close.  we did go quite a bit slower on the last loop, as the moon had gone down, and it was way dark out there.   our ride time was 15:45.

i am fortunate to live in the panhandle part of florida.  we have some places with deep sand, and also have hills!  steep enough to really call them hills.   so, the terrain around here allows me to train for lots of different trail conditions.   and we have mud, too!  sticky, shoe sucking, georgia red clay,  pipe clay, and some of that brown river bottom stuff.

Gorgeous George had no rump rug at goethe.   even though his hair is short, it is a lot thicker that most of the arabs and other breeds. i didnt clip him at all for that ride, so i guess he  had a built in rump rug.  i dont worry a lot about sand, because he has those big old feet, and we ride a lot in sand.

the way i look at it,  i cant change the conditions on the trail, or the weather, so i must learn to make accomodations.   the one thing i can change is the speed in which we complete the course.  i usually have a target time for a ride, but have had to adjust and go slower on many occasions.         ed