[RC] Some Thoughts on Pacing (Part 2) - Jim Holland

Magic’s vet scores were perfect at Hallelujah…not one B….I was supremely confident that I could finish Goethe 100 easily and should have been able to do so.  I got overconfident, did not “ride my own ride”, and didn’t adjust to some adverse conditions.  It was a humbling experience.

  1. Goethe had one 10 mile loop….all the others were 15.  I was concerned about starting in the dark, so I “parked” behind a good rider on a really good horse (Sarah Engsburg) who was going faster than my pace on the first 15 mile loop.  Very cool morning, deepest sand of the ride. I KNEW that in advance.  Even walking some of it at the end, I did it in just a little over 1 ½ hours…WAY too fast.  I knew I was too fast, but disregarded it since I usually do the first loop a little faster than I want to go and the last one a little slower. However, THIS WAS NOT A 50! I need more horse left at the end.  I should have gone LESS than 6 ½ mph on that loop and picked it up later when it was warmer with less sand, then slowed down again after dark. Duh!

  1. Magic was into it…eating, drinking, getting great vet scores…and I lost my overall perspective.  At the 55 mile check, I rode out with Alicia Mansuetti and Clare Summers and trotted along with them, enjoying the company and wanting to get back to camp before full dark.  A little under two hours...TOO FAST!  I had plenty of time. I’m over half done!  Should have got off in some of the heavy sand bogs and slowed down. The last two loops would be a repeat of the first loop…30 miles in deep sand and colder temperatures.  I’m over ½ hour AHEAD of the pace I want on a LONGER ride with the two hardest loops left to go.  Duh!...again.

  1. I didn’t take into account the cold. I’m thinking Florida, and although I KNOW it can be cold at nite down there, I did not have a warm Rump Rug……just don’t ride that much in the cold/dark and it never crossed my mind. Duh!..again.

  1. The sand was deeper this year and it was colder…I didn’t adjust accordingly.

So now what?  I will not compete in January and step up the INTENSITY of my conditioning for Magic for 6 weeks.  Not work him longer, just harder and run him up hills to build his hindquarter strength.  (Several 100 milers at Goethe suggested this) I want to be able to hold the 6 ½ mile pace on a flat 100 mile ride even if it is sand. I will drop back to a 75 for his next ride. (Boy Scout Powwow in early February) I will try another similar 100 in late spring and try to ride it smarter.  Hopefully, Joan will be there to keep my head on straight. J

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

PS…I am now of the opinion that we should have Limited Distance riders (25 milers), Distance Riders (50 milers), and Endurance Riders (100 milers)  <grin>  It appears that the  last 25 miles of a one day 100 is as large a step as moving from 25 miles to 50!  Obviously 100 Mile Rides are not very forgiving of mistakes in judgment.