[RC] Mud and Wood Chips - sherman

Another thing you need to watch for is a chipper that has dull blades and sort of shreds instead of chips. You'll end up with little sticks, and if it's of hard wood, such as manzanita (eucalyptus?), your horse can get punctures in their soles . A local trainer/boarder has had two sole punctures at her place due to poorly chipped wood. She quit using the chips. It isn't worth the expense and  treatment time deal with a punctured hoof.

We  get our chips free from local chippers, however, we don't use them in the horse area, but have about a 6 inch layer on top of our weeds for a semi-landscaped look as using PG&E to power the pump to water a large area is waaay too expensive.

Kathy
Grass Valley

Kat wrote:
Here in southern california (which is, after all, where/why this
discussion got started); wood chips can be had for free from tree
trimmers in the area...since otherwise, these people will have to pay to
dispose of them.  And you don't have to worry about black walnut (since
it doesn't grow here), but you DO have to worry about oleander...you
definitely want to make sure it doesn't contain any of that.