Re: [RC] [RC] joint supplements -- which is best value? - Deanna German

Title: Re: [RC]   [RC] joint supplements -- which is best value?
Barbara already answered you, but I'll elaborate a bit with what I know. It's a legitimate question particularly for someone who's fairly new to distance riding. (Even though I know you have some great mentors! >ggg<)

My understanding is that yucca is chemically similar to aspirin -- which is why it works! It's an anti-inflammatory. It's not allowed under the "no drug" rules. I suppose I could withdraw the supplement 4 days before entering a CTR or AERC event, but I prefer to enter my horse knowing that I'm not depending on an anti-inflammatory to keep her going, thus the reason I intend to entirely avoid them during the ride season (and hopefully year-round). Someone else will have to explain what MSM does -- all I know is that it isn't allowed.

My understanding is that G&C aren't performance enhancing or pain blocking, they just provide the building blocks for the body to produce more of what it already has which is why they are allowed under the "no drug" rule. I notice that in a recent EN Dr. Loving recommends a 4-day withdrawal for G&C too before entering an AERC event. I've always done this, but I really don't know what value it has since the stuff stays circulating, doesn't it? IOW, it doesn't metabolize out like NSAIDs or other pain-blocking or performance enhancing substances, does it?

It's really difficult to find a good joint supplement that doesn't have yucca or MSM in it. :-(

Deanna in cold, wet NW Ohio