[RC] [RC] joint supplements -- which is best value? - Deanna German

My experience with joint supplements:
I started my mare on joint supplements as soon as she was under saddle. I
used an Equine America product that I swear is called Flex Free (but I could
be wrong) that I purchased from Big D's for about 4 years because it seemed
to be the cheapest per milligram. I admit to not doing a loading dose and I
admit to not using it during my mare's down time. I definitely noticed a
difference when she was on it vs not.

Late this summer, I lucked into a marked down bucket of MaxFlex, used that
for a month and noticed a much larger difference than with the Flex Free.
It's Glucosamine without Chondroitin and a big dose (7500mg). This time, I
did the loading dose and used it correctly. It also contains yucca, and for
that reason I didn't stick with it. With my new SmartPak, I told them to put
Equinyl C in it because that seems to be the best value per milligram of
what they offer that doesn't have additional additives other than G & C.

SmartPak accidentally put Equinyl CM (has MSM in it) in my first batch. It
is working well, a continuation of the MaxFlex. But these are products with
different quantities of ingredients and different ingredients, so it's not
an apples to apples comparison. Still, I won't go back to the Equine America
product. I've asked SmartPak to put Equinyl C (no MSM) in her batch and will
be starting that one within a week.

So is it the MSM, the yucca, the high quantity of glucosamine in the
MaxFlex, a higher quality product or that I'm using it correctly? Hard to
say. Equinyl is a good price and if it continues to work well, I'll use it.
If the product with MSM or yucca works better, then I will be looking at a
decision to put her on one of them during the off-season and the G/C product
during the riding season.

Long story short, I can definitely give a thumbs up to MaxFlex that it works
and is a good value. But it contains yucca. :-( Hopefully the Equinyl works
as well.

Deanna

--------------------------------
Has anyone really studied the 800 million <BG> joint supplements available
to know which are the most value-for-money of the stuff most likely to
actually help?

I would like to start my new horse on a joint supplement (presumably
glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate) as a preventive measure, but the
choices are overwhelming!

I know there's an expert in just about everything on this forum, and I bet
someone somewhere has done their own study and made a little chart and
everything -- care to share? :))

--
Glenda R. Snodgrass
AERC #M18819