[RC] Favorite Rides in 2004 - Kristen A Fisher

All the Central Regions rides I did this year were in TX, and there were some good ones, but my favorites were:

1. Meanwhile Back at the Ranch 25/50 Apr 2004 - Cleburne, TX: This is on a private ranch that has it all - pastures, rocky hilly sections, wooded sections, and super wooded knee knocker sections. I think it is quietly becoming one of the biggest rides around, so if you go please pre-enter to make sure we have enough vets. Becky Huffman, Kim Reeves and gang are all super people. I will be heartbroken if I can't do this ride this year.

2. Llano Estacado 2 day 25/50 Sep 2004 - Outside Amarillo, TX: This was the ride in the Natl Park where we got mudded in. Go to this ride if you think TX rides are flat and fast. This is VERY hilly, very rocky, and yes the mosquitoes will carry you away [that's why they give you the big can of 30% DEET OFF when you register] but it is well worth it. Very technical and can be tricky but also some good places to move out and fantastic views. Mechelle Taylor and her gang are very laid back and fun, and I will go to this ride wherever they hold it this year [if the park doesn't want us back].

3. Lone Star 2 day 25/50 Nov 2004 - Bandera, TX: Another technical ride and very very pretty. Even though there are just 2 loops, they are interesting enough to do over and over. Debbie Allen always does a top notch job. If you skipped this because of the weather, you blew it - the trails were near perfect. This is a permanent ride on our calendar.

4. High Roller 2 day 25/50 Dec 2004 - Cat Spring TX: Just a fun all around ride with a great base camp, and now that they have the stables built out back they have the best trot out area I have ever seen at a ride. Also have permanent bathrooms/showers, and trees or pasture to camp. Linda & David Reznicek have this down to a science and take a personal interest in all their riders/"guest". This is a ride where if you find anything to complain about, just pack up and go home. Also penned in on the calendar.

5. Old Glory 3 day 25/50 May 2004 - Boerne, TX: Run by Chris Godsey with help from Cressy Drummond. They were able to keep all riders spirits up and happy despite the south TX summer heat - a true accomplishment and a huge amount of fun. Only complaint was my mare was not up to doing the 3rd day. We hope this one is held again so we can get one more ride in before the dead of summer.

6. Armadillo 25/50/100 Oct 2004 - Kennard, TX: These trails are what riding through the forest is all about. Ride is run by Bo & Linda Parrish who already contribute so much to rides in TX that it is a treat to have them host one [out of their house!] as well. One of the few 100s in the region, in case you are interested [I am not haha]. Their son made a CD of 400 pictures of Ride Camp that was a joy to get, and they had awards at breakfast the next morning so most people stuck around and had fun that night! Definitely on our list again, and I am begging Bo to make it a 2 day.

OK, so that was most of the rides I did this year, but they were all great. I also have to mention that the vets and volunteer staff they had at all the ride above were great!!

Kristen, Rosie & Counterpart in TX