[RC] OT: Tsunami News From Kerry Ridgway - Lynne Glazer

(The problem with Kerry's bank account info is that he didn't include the bank routing number, I'll write and get it, but probably easier to just send any contribution to him directly in SC.) His e-mail is <kerryridgwaydvm@xxxxxxxxx>

The Tsunami Disaster - My Son in Thailand

The following is from my son, Reid Ridgway, who is living in Phuket Thailand. He is ok and is trying to set up some relief and to document the tragedy.
?
Pictures that he has sent can be viewed on <http://www.toddridgway.com/tsunami2>?and
************************************************************************ ***************************
Hello Everyone,

I'm calling on my network of friends and family at this time. I am
organizing a private relief fund to directly benefit people that we can identify as to their needs and their plight. Here in Phuket, I am in the midst of an enormous and tragic
loss of life and living. I have so many friends who are suffering
without homes, businesses, family members, and without hope. I have
been out trying to do what I can in the immediate crisis. There is so
little aid coming in, and the big organizations are very inefficient at
using what little aid that is coming. My friend Marco and I are going
to distribute help and to create a video document of our efforts to do
what we can.

Many have asked what they can do.... offering to send blankets and
medical supplies, and food. The supply chain is fine because the
interior infrastructure is intact. There is shelter and food, fresh
water, clothing, and supplies available here, but there is no money to
buy these things. It is far cheaper to buy them than to send them, and
takes far less time than the enormous organizations will take.

If you feel that you have it in your heart, please give generously. If
you have no money but would like to help– Please pass this email to
everyone you know, and to your communities, churches and organizations.
All money given will go directly to the effort of helping those who are
suffering. This is my personal guarantee and my commitment to the
people on both sides of this enormous human tragedy.

It will be very time consuming and nearly bureaucratically to set up a fund though the government, so I am choosing to use my own bank account at this time.
Anyone contributing can deposit directly to
Bank of America account # #05638 02127
in my name Kerry R. Ridgway

When doing so please send an email to
reidridgway@xxxxxxxxx and include your full name mailing address and
email and contribution details.
This will form a mailing database for us to send you our documentation
or your contribution and our efforts to use it well.

Thanks everyone.

With love

Reid Ridgway
Phuket, Thailand
?
A few words of explanation. My son, Reid moved to Thailand about 3 years ago following the demise of his computer related business in Santa Cruz, CA during the "dot com" crash. He has been making his living doing video work, works as a professional diver and is certified to train instructer divers. He plays music in the hotels and nite spots as well as writes for two magazines in Phuket.
?
He survived the Loma Prieta earthquake in California. (A woman less than 10 feet away was killedin the same building. He spent that day pulling people from rubble and worked at giving help there for weeks. He is talented and a very generous person and now is faced with the consequences of another incredible earthquake/tsunami.
?
I am going to include in this message another e-mail that he sent me regarding my suggestions to re-write and word his letter. I fear that it could be mis-understood. There are undoubteldly many out there, who are scam artists, opportunsts and downright crooks. I can speak to his integrity and true concern for the people of his adopted country.
?
?
From Reid
?
Hey Dad,

I do understand and know that it would make a difference in peoples
confidence. There's just no way for me to set up any Bank Account such
as you described, in my name, or in Marco's since he is not from the
USA. I'd have to fly home to sign papers and identify myself and there
are probably permits and laws governing such activities that would
prevent it from happening. The time and red tape is exactly what we're
trying to cut out of the immediate need. We're doing good stuff here,
and it will be documented and accounted for thoroughly. If people
aren't satisfied with that, they have lots of other choices. But try
getting your Red Cross money accounted for- other than a plain receipt
- and you compare that with what people think about how far their money
went with me.

My position is: I'm doing what I can in an immediate way. That's what
is needed here. I'm not the Red Cross and don't want to be. I'm just
doing what I can - see a need and fill it mode. I don't want to make a
career of disaster relief. I just wanted to help in my community at
this time.

You're probably correct about the personally know thing. It was all
written in great haste, as we have no time here at the moment. I spent
a horrific day today. I'm too tired to talk tonight and just got back.
But I spent the day with the forensics team at Takua Pa. I saw more
bloated corpses in two days than most people in Vietnam ever did.? I haven't
slept much and we've toured the entire area to document the real
situation here. Yesterday we interviewed the deputy prime Minister of
Thailand, and with the help of the top Forensics expert in Thailand we
got him to agree that the numbers Thailand was presenting were grossly
underestimated and needed immediate rectification. Yesterday morning
Thailand was saying around 1657 with 2000 still missing, Now it's 4500,
with 6500 missing and presumed dead. I feel like we got something
addressed that was of national importance here. The damage is mind
numbing in scope and we personally calculated 3500 corpses in the area
we toured yesterday. I found one next to where I parked my car at one
site. But the French team was done for the day, so they just marked it
for tomorrow. The bodies are horrendous and unrecognizable except for
jewelry or personal items, possible deformities or something unusual,
like a tattoo that still be made out.? Other than that it's hard to
even tell sex sometimes. And sometimes that aspect is grossly distorted
as well. It's a horror show, and I'm exhausted, drained and I can't get
the smell out of my nose. It's fucked up here.

I think my plan is to post every 2 or 3 days what we've seen and what
we're doing about it. Any donor will receive confirmation and updates.
That's what I can offer. If people go to the other big relief orgs,
they get big business and sometimes only 10% of the money eventually goes to the cause
and no idea exactly how they're money was used. It's just an
alternative. It's direct and immediate and you get to see what we're
doing. If people like what we do, then they will tell others it is a
good thing, if people are unhappy then they'll tell us so, and tell
their friends it's a bad thing.

Not to worried about it. Just figured it would give me some resources
to reach out an do something instead of wring my hands in horror. And
it's working so far. We don't have much yet, but its raised about a
thousand so far, and that buys a lot of water and food and blankets.
Especially if we get the stores to give us cost deals or donate as
well. It's not going to pay people medical bills or help them recover
their losses, but it's about food, water, shelter, and clothing right
now. The situation will evolve into different needs quickly, and if we
have a good track record with small funds and a video documenting our
efforts, then I would like to take the time to try to change the status
of the bank account thing. For now, It's all I have and good enough to
start with. We're out there already, and I hope you understand, that's
what I need to be doing right now to feel better.

Anyway. I'm up early and it's already 4:23 AM Here. happy new year.

Love you and thanks for doing what you can

RR
------?
Kerry J. Ridgway, DVM
EquiSport Therapeutic Options