Re: [RC] Moving up from CT to LD - heidi

Please Reply to: Christina Trakehners2000@xxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ==========================================

When is it okay to move from CT to LD, or a better question would be do
you start your horses in CT or LD?   What would be the major difference
for me if we went to  LD's?   Thanks

Personally, I much prefer to start my horses on 50s.

As for the difference in formats, Frank's description of LD and how it is
different from CTR was good.  I'd add that the main difference in starting
in LD or CTR is for the rider--if the rider already knows the ropes, they
can teach a horse just as much on an LD as on a CTR, but if the rider does
NOT already know the ropes, CTR is a great place to learn.  Both the
shorter CTRs and the LDs are ways to test your own abilities before
committing to quite so many miles--which is another good thing for riders
getting started, but does not pose an advantage of one over the other,
particularly.

Because of the difference in the time window format of CTR and the maximum
allowed time in LD, you DO have the option of moving at either a faster OR
slower pace in LD that you do in CTR--going too fast can be your undoing
in the beginning, but the option to go slower may or may not be an
advantage, depending on your horse, his fitness level, and your skill
level.

Heidi