Re: [RC] Psychotic mare - heidi

I've owned this 15 yr old mare for 6 months now, and suddenly she's
exhibiting extremely aggressive behavior. I know she's in season, but
she's been in season before in the last 6 mos. and nothing like this has
happened. When I asked her to "shake" hands for a carrot, she lifted her
leg & slightly bowed for the carrot, but when I touched her leg (like I
asloways do) she squealed, spun and kicked out. Thinking I'd hurt her
somehow, I went back up to her talked to  her and reached out to stroke
her head, which she's always seemed to enjoy, and I got the same squeal,
spin, & kick. Later she walked up to the stall grates, put her head
close for me to pet her, but when I did, got the same response. Is it
possible that she's in pain due to being in season?  Also, the weather
has been very wet & cold for the past week, don't know if that makes any
difference. Should I carry a "long" crop & smack her when she does this
to let her know that in season or not, she needs to be respectful? Or
would I just be making it worse if she's in pain? I've had horses for
over 25 yrs, and never had one act like this before. She's been sweet
and respectful for the 6 mos. that she's been with us, and
unfortunately, I have no previous history on her.

Sounds like very typical behavior for a mare with a granulosa cell tumor
on an ovary.  First thing I'd suggest would be a complete hormone panel
and palpation/ultrasound of her reproductive tract.

Heidi