Re: [RC] [RC] Mylar bits - Stephanie E Caldwell

I've not used Myler bits much, but my experiences
haven't been as good as most. My riding buddy has used
a combo on her gelding for a year now, and he goes
very well in it, but recently we tried a Myler on her
mare that I ride, it didn't go over to well with the
mare. They Myler, IMO, missed a few key points when
designing their bits, and they are not all they're
cracked up to be.

The so called "Comfort Snaffles" look like they would
have a tendency to pinch. Laying across my palm, when
pulled, it pinched my palm very badly. Aside from
that, I found them easy for the horse to lean on.

Most of the comfort snaffles are 2+ jointed and they
are *not* mild bits. Whatever works for your horse,
that's what should be used, but I am not a fan of
Myler's and would not invest the money in one for my
own mare! With the lifters and hooks these bits have
quite a bit of poll pressure, more so than most
Kimberwickes and many pelhams, they are deceptively
mild looking.

Steph
--- Laurie Durgin <ladurgin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I have ben using a low port, fullcheek snaffle, with
hinged sides and my boy
is responding well he seems more responsive( and
he'll buck if something is
too harsh). He also is 'giving' bettera nd he
rounds better too in it.
Laurie