Re: [RC] [RC] Equine Dentist - Deanna German

It pains me terribly to want to disagree with anything Susan would write or
suggest, but I'd like to propose to her a slight amendment to her statement
which I snipped below:

Susan G wrote:
"Whoever you use, please make sure they have a DVM after their name, and are
not just hanging out a shingle because they bought a power float."

Is there a little wiggle room in there to say that if they don't have a DVM
after their name that they have been recommended by your DVM? (As in the DVM
knows they have the training and experience to do a better job.)

The equine dentist (John Fortcamp) who floated my mare's teeth last spring
was recommended by *both* large animal vets I use. He works in their clinics
and, while he does the tranq'ing, it's under the vets supervision. Should
anything happen, the vet is nearby. Letting him work on my mare's teeth was
the best thing I've done for her since having a chiropractor work on her.
(He *is* a DVM.)

I think this is a workable situation and different than an untrained person
doing floating just because they were able to purchase the power float.

Take care!

Deanna

REAL endurance is eating egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight!
~ Heidi Sowards