Re: [RC] What features do you find most comfortable in tights? - Glenda R. Snodgrass

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 sharon1359@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Carousel says Supplex is really durable, so I was thinking maybe I'd opt

Supplex is fairly durable and **extremely** comfortable, especially in hot
muggy weather, but it does snag easier than Spandura, which is extremely
tough & durable and quite comfortable, even in hot muggy weather.  If you
ride through a lot of thorny vines like we do in the SE, your Supplex
tights will be snagged and run and be ruined before very long.  I only
wear Supplex when I'm going to be riding open fields and roads, and wear
Spandura for riding in the woods.  Spandura tights are so tough, you'll
get scratched bloody skin on your legs without a single snag in the
tights, I kid you not. I've had it happen many times.

As for padded knees and knee patches, my experience (sewing for myself and
friends) tells me this:  if you have fairly straight legs without a lot of
curve, then padding and knee patches are a good thing. If you have very
curvy legs, then the padding and suede fabric tend to bunch up at the
places where you curve in, and you get rub marks.

I like knee patches and full seat tights for arena work or trying out a
new saddle/horse, but I won't wear them on a ride longer than 15 miles
because I will get sores just below my knees on the inside.

Do you like a padded seat?  Do you actually think it helps make the
saddle seem more cushiony?

I dont find the padding in the seat to be thick enough to make a
difference in cushioning.  On the other hand, if something happens and you
end up having to walk a long way in the heat, you can get carpet burn in
senstiive spots from that padding. :(  I removed it from the one pair
of tights I had with padding and I like them much better now.

Do you like stirrup feet?

I do, because they keep the tights from riding up without causing any bulk
around the ankle (which elastic can do).

--
Glenda R. Snodgrass

Before you begin, consider ... The Net Effect
http://www.theneteffect.com
(251) 433-0196

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
which is the bitterest.
~  Confucius