Re: [RC] horse type priorities (was Pet Peeves) - Milinda Ellis

Jonni,

Amen, Amen, Amen!  Does that mean I'll never make a
competitive endurance rider?  Probably... but that's
not why I like this sport.

The older I get, the more I appreciate a horse with
whom I can get along.  They don't have to ride as
smooth as a Cadillac (although that helps).  I won't
have one I don't think is trustworthy (meaning, you
can turn your back on them while on the ground and
they won't come at you with teeth and hooves, etc).  I
won't sell one like that either -- if we can't correct
it (and I've taken years with some horses if I saw
eventual promise), then I'll put it down. I won't pass
along a dangerous horse -- no matter how broke I am or
how high prices are (but I've not had to do that with
any produce -- nor will I breed to an outside mare
that I perceive as 'unbalanced' because that will hurt
the reputation of my stallion and my farm).
Unfortunately, I know a LOT of people who will do just
about anything in pursuit of the almighty dollar.  I
firmly believe in "Do unto others..." (and I'm not
saying that just because it's Lent).

Just give me a horse I can enjoy on trail -- one that
isn't so rough-riding that it jars loose my teeth --
I'll eventually get to the vet check...

Milinda Ellis
Beargrass Cleveland Bays
Jewett, Texas

PS -- And no, this doesn't mean I'm trying to market
my horses on Ridecamp!
--- Jonni Jewell <jonnij@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Interesting what different people put as priorities
for horses. I have
personality and disposition up at the top. I have to
LIKE the horse, and
enjoy working with it. They become more than just a
tool for my "sport", and
I want one that has lots of personality. (pleasant
personality, not cranky)
It can be the soundest horse in the world, and be at
the top of the pack for
recoveries and doing well at rides, but if I just
don't "like" the horse,
then I will not enjoy working with it, or riding it
all day. There are too
many horses out there to ride one that I don't
really care for it's
personality.
Jonni in TX

Karen Sullivan posted:I agree with Angie....Good
disposition and respect
come at the bottom of my
list.  My list goes like this:
1.  Smooth gaits and surefooted.  (thing better not
be jolty or fall down)
2. Sound body, feet and legs
3. Level head
4.  color and looks I like
5. disposition, personality and respect.<<<

Common sense should also be a part of the decision
making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your
tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/