[RC] Trot Speed. - Roger Rittenhouse

 I think  a good  Theory/book was written by Lew Hollander and was also
 supported
 by John Depart.. has to do with the synergist of a gait. What is
 the best  speed for that horse.   That is a gait/speed at a HR
 where all the systems are working in  a balanced harmony.
 Sort of the energizer bunny.

 None of mine are the same. The GPS I use   the Timex is quite accurate. I
 used my $20 Radio Shack pedometer set up for the stride length at a
 working trot at 8 min mile that's 7.x mph- Turns out my stride length
 is the same as my horse. So I can test the GPS on me along with the
 pedometer. They were within acceptable error, as .1 to .3 mph
 difference.
 Since I no longer run for MILES -- I took off on the horse to prove
 out the theory that Lew and John wrote about many years ago. And to
 use the techno tools to help proof this.  I have done this many times
 over the years. Now with the GPS I can eliminate the 'how fast I am
 going ' error or question.

 He drops into a dead on easy swing trot at 8 min mile - like he can go
 all day long.. his HR is about 110 to 115 on the flat. The GPS and
 the pedometer while at the trot were close enough for me to accept.

 The older GPS of years ago were not as good as the new ones.

 I asked for a increase in speed-  He can go along very easy at 8 to
 10 MPH, but he prefers about 8. His HR will jump from 115/120  to
 125/130 when I ask for the 10 mph trot. It is sort of difficult to
 find LONG FLAT trails here but it is sort of relative. I have enough
 to prove out the point, the GPS is accurate enough for use as a
 training tool and teaching tool.. i.e. what does a 10mph trot 'feel
' like? and so on.. along with the HR data that says his best working
HR is about 120 at the trot of 8 mph.
If I ask for more he will move out  but wants to fall back to the pace
that is within his comfort zone.
At a walk he likes about 2.5 mph with a HR of 80-90 WAY too slow - so I work
him at about
3 to 4. I think it is just him. I cannot get him to keep the 4 mph walk
going.
Canter he likes about 12 to 15 mph. Varies due to the trail. Hr will
be about 130 to 140. (on the flat) If we were in a pushed out hard trot over 10
mph
he prefers to canter and the HR will drop 5 to 10 bpm.

By using the techie tools I can see where he works the best and why he
likes a certain  speeds at all 3 gaits. It is where he is in balance with
all systems. I do not think this can be changed that much, its a
natural synergistic balance for THAT horse.

I can condition him to accept the higher speeds at the trot and
canter/gallop, but the basic working level of effort during a ride has
to be where he most conformable and or efficient.

The object of my conditioning program is to move him out of that zone
to work at higher levels of effort and hope for a modification of that
balanced working zone.   At least the horse's systems can learn and adapt to
accept the higher work levels without damage. Given to their own
selection of  gait/speed they will fallback to this balanced zone.

The use of the techie tools helps  a rider to learn this about each
horse, way faster with less chance of error then doing it the old way  by trial
- error and ride till broken.

I think after the convention I will put my CONDITIONING TRANING GUIDE on
the web site. Some 'may' get something    from it.

Guess this was a ramble-on post

--
Roger                          mailto:roger@xxxxxxxxxxx

Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm