Re: [RC] A good working trot? - Karen

The average gets slowed down a lot when you walk, drink, graze, etc. This is where people get into trouble. They think their average (ride) time is the same as speed travelled, and there is a huge difference. If you walk ten minutes of every hour you just reduced your average mph considerably, or stop to adjust tack, etc. The horses do trot that fast all day long, they just don't do it 100% of the time :+D. k

At 10:33 AM 2/24/2004, John Teeter wrote:

> they trot at 14 to 14.5 mph all day long.
The winner of the recent pres cup (7:20 ride time) averaged 21.82 km/hr ~= 13mph. I'd think 8-10mph would be a more conservative way to think about it. or target a ride time, say an 6hr 50 = 8.2 mph (or a 5hr 50 being 10mph average.....

seems like 14mph is pretty fast.

johnt.

Why should I look good if I don`t smell good? ~ author unknown