From: Timothy Worden <ndrorydr@xxxxxxxxx>
To: EnduranceNet RideCamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Gearing up for Leatherwood
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:22:07 -0800 (PST)

A few times on RideCamp there has been mention of a
little place in the mountains of North Carolina called
Leatherwood Mountains.  For those who know
Leatherwood, know the last 15miles is quite a little
drive once you turn off Highway 18.  As I drove the
70mile trek there I could not help but think of Howard
with that big motorhome weaving along the NARROW roads
to Leatherwood.  For those who take the 321/18 route
you'll be happy to hear they paved and widened 80% of
the stretch between 18 and 268.  Now if they would do
the same thing all the way to the entrance of
Leatherwood.

Anyway, in less than a month, endurance riders will be
traversing these narrow roads on their way to the
Extreme Challenge.  Last year was the first time I had
ever ridden at Leatherwood, so I had no idea what the
trails were like.  The infamous Bobs Branch is the
first loop.  The type of climbs are something
else....hence the Extreme.  Lara and I had been back
to ride Leatherwood a couple times since the event,
but I had not taken her on Bobs Branch.  This past
Sunday we decided to check out the trail.  Man had I
forgotten just how tough these climbs were on this
first loop.  During the event last year we rode the
loop in a cloud so we could not enjoy the view.  I
finally saw the great views on Sunday.  I'll post some
pictures when I get the film back.  Plus I'll take
pictures during the ride this month.

Abbie, Phil, and the whole Leatherwood crew put on a
great ride.  Luckily we won't have to wait a whole
year for another event since they're putting on
another ride this coming Labor Day weekend.  They're
adding a 75mile!!  If my mountain monster Quarab,
Poco, does well in the 50, I may shoot to do a 75.
I'm gearing up for 100s and reading great stories from
people like Nick Warhol are all that more inspiring.
I do hope to meet you in person someday
Nick...hopefully at a 100mile event:)

Anyway, back to gearing up for Leatherwood Extreme
Challenge.  The trails were in pretty good shape.  Now
that I've had a refresher and my wife has a better
idea of the challenge, we are headed back up this
coming weekend.  Our goal is to learn that first tough
loop better and figure out a good pace to start the
50mile event so we have horse left at the end.  All we
want is that completion buckle.  If the weather holds
this week, anyone is welcome to join us on Saturday
for a good training ride.

Can't wait to meet up with people at the ride in a
month.  Though you may not see me much since I'll be
enjoying the hottub in a cabin up on the mountain;)

Tim

P.S. we'll also be at Sandhills in a couple weeks:)
Arabians were bred for years primarily as a war horse and those
requirements are similar to what we do today with endurance riding.
~  Homer Saferwiffle

Find and compare great deals on Broadband access at the MSN High-Speed Marketplace. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/

There is no better way to see the world than from the back of a horse. ~ Teddy Roosevelt