Re: [RC] [RC] Make it Happen - Howard Bramhall

We haven't gotten that far yet, Rae. All of this is in the developing stage. I got the OK from SERA to go forward with all of this yesterday. Let's just say, the mentor will have to have a better record than myself.

Here's some thoughts along those lines. First of all, the mentor will have to have a willingness to do this. A willingness to teach, a willingness to instruct others, and, the knowledge to go behind what they're saying.

Keep in mind, we're talking about completing a 25 miler, not a 50 or a hundred. I hope to try a 50 eventually, for LD riders who want to move up to that distance, but, for now, we'll be doing this only for the LD's.

The mentors will be approved by the SERA BOD. It will not be me who choses them although I will be the one collecting those names of volunteers. It will also depend on which rides want the clinic and what riders are available.

It's just getting off the ground so, if you're looking for me to start putting out the names and resumes of the mentors who will be doing the rides, I don't have that available as yet. My first choice for the Oconee ride is Joe Schoech, but, I don't have a firm commitment on that. IN fact, that clinic was set up before I got the OK for the rider part of it, so, I'm not a hundred percent sure that Oconee will even have the LD ride as part of the clinic. I'll let eveyone know as soon as I have it together.

We might need more than one mentor per ride depending on how many new riders sign up for the clinic.

Keep in mind, the first requirement is someone who is willing to make a sacrifice as part of Rider education. This is a seasoned endurance rider who will be doing a distance they would not normally be doing. A seasoned rider who has enough knowledge to answer any questions about our sport. A seasoned rider who enjoys teaching. A seasoned rider who is willing to give up their own endurance miles, their own points and standing (at least for this one ride) for the good of the sport.

We will have a list of topics for the mentor to discuss during the 25 mile journey. It will not be a job of baby-sitting. It will be instructional, informative, and, the pace will be a moderate one. The final goal will be to get the entire group through the ride with a healthy horse at the end.

My personal mission in all of this is the hope that the new rider leaves the clinic with one main thought in their head: "The horse must come first, above all else. The health and well being of my horse is my responsibility." And, that they leave with the knowledge to make that happen at every future ride they attend.

Horses have only one main goal in life: To survive. This is the first and formost goal that will be enforced at the clinics. The horse's health and well being must take precedence above any personal goals of the rider.

The rider needs knowledge and ability to make sure this goal is met. We plan on providing them that knowledge during the clinic and finalizing it with an LD ride with a qualified mentor.

cya,
Howard