[RC] OT: UAE history:) - John Teeter

> Careful with the romanticism. A lot of people actually believe this nonsense.
> Maryanne

Admittedly I'm a naive-babe-in-the-desert (not even being a horse guy and only having been exposed to the history of the region through a visit to the national museum in Dubai. :)

The only first hand account of the area culture I could find was a book called "Desert Sands" (and the accompanying "Visions of the Nomad") by Thesiger (see below).

All the rest I've found on-line seems to be cast through a lens of possibly biased perspective (eg. http://www.monalisastyle.com/newsletter.shtml :).

I think I'll get the two Thesiger pieces (and possibly the "Marsh Arabs" b/c of the current stuff happening up north.)

But just from the cursory look, it sounds like the Bani Las tribe (of Bedouins centered around the Liwa Oasis) provide the thread of cultural evolution related to the current collection of Emirates. They were camel guys (with all the horses owned by the head dude it seems). Basically, as that tribe grew, it spread out to overrun the coastal perl diver/pirate guys (and were then treatified (tucal states) -> protectorized (by the Brits) -> Emrized.)

It's also interesting to look at the Oman (eastern Saba empire) and Bahrain (never taken over by Bani Las) areas (as they are geo-close, but seem to have much different cultural threads - Both heavily horsey it seems.)

Anyone out there with a background in southern arabian history??

It seems Thesiger's book(s) are likely the only place where current opinions might be contrasted by first hand account as there seems to be no other writings available.

johnt
==================

The Bani Las moved in to Abu Dabi from the Liwa area.
http://www.enhg.org/b/b02/02_11.ht";
"The Liwa is the historical home of the Bani Yas ? a confederation of Bedouin tribes who constitute the majority of the native population of Abu Dhabi ..

http://www.uaeinteract.com/history/e_walk/con_2/con2_12.asp
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2003/660/bo4.htm
http://www.eapgroup.com/thesiger.htm

British explorer Sir Wilfred Thesiger, 90 in June 2000, is best known for his crossings of the Empty Quarter of Arabia, from southern Oman across Saudi Arabia to the Liwa Oasis in Abu Dhabi, made in the late 1940s with the assistance of local Bedu companions. He is the first foreigner known to have visited the Liwa. He made several journeys in south-eastern Arabia between 1946 and 1950 in the area,....

http://www.uaeinteract.com/uaeint_misc/pdf/English/History_&_Traditions.pdf

http://www.royalarabianstud.com/arabhorse.htm

http://www.uaeinteract.com/culture/l.asp

http://www.uaeinteract.com/uaeint_misc/pdf/English/Preliminaries.pdf

http://nabataea.net/sarabia.html

http://www.yemenweb.com/info/_disc/0000002c.htm

http://www.yemenweb.com/info/_disc/0000002c.htm

The whole ride experience can be very hard, and at times you question why
you put yourself through such abuse. But then you remember all those
moments when you pop up over a hill and are suddenly surrounded by the most
stunning views. It's just you and your horse and for a moment time stops
and you can hear the angels sing. Therein lies the addiction, at least for
me. ~ Leslie Beyers