[RC] off the beaten path - Tina Hicks

As I was driving home yesterday I, once again, drooled over the power line
trail at the end of the neighborhood. It goes straight up a mountain that
would just do a horse's heart good :). Conveniently, there's a church with
a big parking lot right at the base of it. The easement to the trail goes
behind 3 or 4 houses before it hits the mountain. Almost everyday I think
"wonder if they'd let me park in the parking lot so I could ride that
mountain" which is almost always followed by "wonder what would happen to
me if I just parked there and rode up that mountain" :)

And that made me think about other ridecampers and what means you've gone
to in order to get a good ride in. I don't mean anything as mundane as
riding around some traffic <g> - I think most of us have to suffer through
that. I'm wondering about parking in parking lots in a populated area to
get to power line (or other) trails, riding through neighborhoods to get
to the riding behind it, etc....

If you have access to millions of miles of trail from your backyard, I
don't want to hear from you :).

Tina Hicks
tina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith