Re: [RC] trotting vs cantering - Karen Sullivan

I agree, and....
When going fast over rough and uneven terrain, my gut feeling is that the
horse has
a better idea of how to do it than I do (IF the horse shows no ability
whatsoever to
figure this stuff out, than it is a horse to get rid of! <G>)

Anyway, my rule of thumb is to determine the speed....and let the horse make
the
decisions on what gaits.  Often on rough terrain, they will easily go in and
out of
a trot and canter.  IF they can do this smoothly without falling down, then
I just
allow it!
Karen

  Trotting and cantering each have their own stresses.  I think
it is best to school ALL gaits: the more tools in the box, the
better.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag
The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as
practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith

Arabians were bred for years primarily as a war horse and those
requirements are similar to what we do today with endurance riding.
~  Homer Saferwiffle