[RC] Endurance Racing in UAE - Beverly Gray

Riding in the UAE is a completely different endurance challenge. To be
successful,
it does take a different training method and mindset than training for the
Big Horn or the Tevis or even the Rocky Mountain Multi-day over the
continental divide ( like the Tevis 5 days in a row!) Their trails, vet
checks, event organization is unlike anyplace in the entire world.  Yes, the
UAE has taken endurance to another level, but guess who taught them back in
1995 > the USA, France, Australia.
Their elite riders have mastered pace and peak performance. Look at the
splits, the last loops are faster that the first! The veterinary facilities
at the top stables are incredible.  Yes, the horses are training for one or
two specific events and developed to peak for those events. Detailed records
are kept with each horse/trainer and even blood is drawn after training
rides to analyze variations in that horses ?perfect? levels. Ask Dr. Baldwin
or Dr. Beecher.
 Sheikh Maktoum   offered us is personal farrier in Dubai,
and he was incredible and offered suggestion for improvement for Pals
hooves. There are no secrets, they are, generous and gracious and do
encourage our successes?.  The UAE imports the best hay (shipped from
Washington state), best supplements, Legend regularly?.. unbelievable!
You bet Olympics for endurance?.with the support  and enthusiasm of the UAE.
(Coming from Utah who says the IOC can?t be bribed) Really, endurance can
stand on its own four feet as a high caliber World Olympic Event. But,
chances are, the 2008 Summer
Olympics will not be in the sands of Dubai or Abu Dhabi. And we all have
that rock out there with our name on it, including the Maktoum family
dynasty. Even thoroughbred/Arabian  racing industry are amazed at the
cutting edge of the UAE .  And tracks are flat everywhere.
The US team, chef, veterinary and support staff are awesome this year.
We can and will win the TEAM GOLD at the World Endurance Championships.

So, I say keep up the good work UAE.
Beverly Gray
USA National Endurance Team

REAL endurance is taking your non-horsey family to a ridecamp with you!
~ Heidi Sowards