[RC] Equine head injury with brain exposed - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

A friend of mine is taking care of a mare with the worst luck in the entire world. First she foaled late one night about a month ago when only her owner, an individual well known for not paying his vet bills, was home and the foal wasn't presented right. He didn't get any vet to come out and instead got a water buffalo vet from the village who pulled the foal out, killing the foal and at least scratching the mare inside. He then gave up on her, so Morad took her in and treated her with antibiotics and TLC...she's been doing well until now.

This morning I called him and he sounded exhausted. Last night the mare hit her head hard enough to expose some of the brain. I haven't seen the injury myself but Morad said that although it's not large, the membrane around the brain is torn and you can see the brain tissue. The vet he called basically told him that she is in the hands of God. He has covered the wound, given her antibiotics and doesn't know what else, if anything, can be done. The horse in question is living in a stable in an Egyptian village outside of Cairo, so clinics and other vets are pretty much out of the question. Frankly, our vets aren't much use in anything more complicated than stitches and pulled tendons, and even then they are dubious.

If anyone has any words of advice, they would be appreciated. Neither of us have any idea about what sort of dressing if any one can put on a wound of this sort. Frankly, if she pulls through this, it will be an utter miracle.

Thanks in advance,

Maryanne
Cairo