Re: [RC] [RC] Jack Russels... - heidi

Thus, I'm not comfortable with what
you say next:

"Both parents should be on the premises, or at least available for you
to veiw in person.?Some breeders contract out to a stud, so if he iatn't
around, that's fine, but definitely pay him a visit."

The breeder should be looking for the best match for the bitch. That
best match might be in the next city or several states away. If the
bitch and the stud dog are both on the premises, I advise asking a lot
of questions before acquiring a dog from this person. On the surface,
that kind of situation doesn't look like a carefully thought out
breeding program to me (i.e. a "backyard breeder" -- watch out for
health and temperament issues), although it might be.

Hear, hear!  (Ditto your comment that what you said about dog breeding
programs applies fairly well to horse breeding.)

If both the sire and dam are on the premises, you should be looking at a
large breeding program, where the dam has been either purchased or
carefully bred to be the right match to the sire.  And there are likely
other related dogs there as well.  If the sire and dam are the only two
owned by the "breeder" then beware.

We had a small breeding program for several years for Mastiffs.  Because
we were small, virtually all of our matings were with outside
dogs--sometimes we had a real "keeper" female that we would breed to an
outside male, and sometimes we had a real "keeper" male and we would find
a female puppy that suited him well, and raise her and show her and
eventually breed her.  We have hauled dogs back and forth to California to
breed, and have shipped semen, and got one of our nicest bitches from
Georgia to breed to a lovely male that we raised a few generations back.
We knew what we wanted, and went to where we could find those qualities.

That's how good horse breeding operations are run as well--which is why
those of us with umpteen stallions still sometimes breed out, or lease
mares out to people with stallions we like, to come back in foal, or lease
mares from other people to breed to specific stallions, etc.  There should
always be an eye to the future, and where the program might be going in
10, 20, or 30 years.

Heidi