[RC] Camp Osborn Boy Scout Powwow -- Laurie Underwood - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Laurie Underwood jimmy@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Actually Ed, the rain started at about 10:00 Saturday night.  I was laying in
bed praying the weather man was wrong when it started.  It sprinkled off and on
-- not sure when the steady downpour began.  I also did the 30 with a junior
rider whose horse was just coming back from a tendon injury -- deep mud would
not have been my choice for that.  On one of the many second loop re-routes we
passed a rain gauge.  Sylvester, Georgia had received 2-1/2 inches of rain
through about 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.  I'm guessing it started about Thursday.

Don't know what we would do without folks like Joe Schoech.  He not only saved
his horse, he prevented the rest of us from going through that bog.  We also
finished up and left early as the weather continued to deteriorate and our
horses were shivering in their blankets.  We passed Joe on our way out at about
6:30 p.m. -- he was walking in from his last loop, said he and Bogey were OK,
but sore.  I hope they completed after that ordeal.

Kudos to Jamie and Eric Ginter, and Kay and Randy Faulk for their tireless work
and efforts to make the trails as safe as possible.  Randy was out riding the
blue loop on a four-wheeler trying to assess trail conditions, and he saved us
from going through another treacherous bog.  I was very thankful to have a
sensible mare who chose her footing carefully -- and when she refuses something
like that, I listen because it's not often she refuses.  We finished up in fine
fashion (with my mare stiff legging me at the end -- guess I didn't work her
hard enough!), 4 from the end I believe -- my junior Heather thought her horse
was off on the first loop so we slowed down (not that we were blowing, mind
you) and did some walking.  Turned out there was nothing wrong with the horse
-- but she had used duct tape to prevent water from going into her boots and
had cut the circulation off in her left leg, which changed her riding and made
her feel her horse was off left front.  Glad she slowed us down, too, as we
would have gone through the really bad stuff before anything had been rerouted.
God was definitely with us on Saturday.

BTW, I've decided endurance is an 8-year-old girl doing her first ride on a
pony in those conditions -- and loving it and wanting to come back for more.
I've forgotten her name, but her mother is Katherine Whitaker, and I believe
they are from the Soperton, Georgia area.

So, how many of you guys who rode PowWow completed with all four shoes?  And
how many called your farrier to thank him for his fine work?  I called mine and
told him today was "Hug Your Farrier Day".  Probably blew his mind!  :o)

Laurie Underwood