[RC] Happy End to Dog Crisis - rides2far

Whew! Found the foaming at the mouth dog (Truly) and she's fine. >BIG
sigh of relief<

Yesterday after the first posting (about 10 AM) she disappeared between
the time I fed the horses, posted my question to ya'll and went back out
to check on her.

It was cold and raining. I hiked around on a steep ridge, crawling
through thickets and over downed pine trees (looks like a tornado went
through after pine beetles hit) for an hour and a half with no luck. Any
time she's not on the porch she's usually hunting back there but you can
hear her yipping after squirrels and such pretty often when she does. No
sign of her.

Waited a few hours to see if she would return. It continued to rain and
they called for snow. Figured if I was going to save her I had till dark
to find her. Climbed around back there for another hour and a half till
dark. No sign. Crossed my fingers and pictured her being on the porch
when we got up. Nope. Today I started my dead dog search. Called the
Health Dept. this morning to get their advice. They said either way I had
10 days to think about it or find her. Bonnie was bringing friends home
from work to help with the search this afternoon.

I had been searching very near the house for about an hour, checking
behind every sheet of tin, even on top of the hay stack, etc. before
beginning on the woods. Had searched about a 100'x30" stretch of deep
woods, turned around and my wagging dog is trotting towards me doing her
best to smile, coming from towards the house. :-D  I believe she may have
been hidden far back in a den she dug on the side of a hill near the edge
of the woods years ago. This is a pretty unique line of dogs I've raised.
This one's 5th generation of my line and they do some weird stuff. The
first time this one had pups she dug a den so deep into the hill that I
couldn't touch the back wall with a broom stick and had her pups back
there. I took a maddock and tore it open since it sort of parallelled the
bank and managed to get to the puppies. I checked that den 3 times,
poking as far back as I could into it with a very long pole but hit
nothing but what felt like a dirt wall. All I can figure is she's got a
crook in it and was over to the side. Crawled in there till she got
better, then came out when she heard me walking overhead. By the way, the
opening to the den is tiny and if I hadn't seen her crawl into it before
I wouldn't believe she could get in there, much less have pups in there.
I don't fit. She acts like nothing ever happened. Her appetite is good.
Gave her a little piece of bread and she begged for more. Locked her up
for the time being.

So, we've all learned something. DON'T empty the bacon grease can on your
dog food, and if your dog is foaming at the mouth CONFINE it immediately
or you could be laying in bed trying to remember how many people's hand
that dog has licked in the last few days and thinking about whether
treament is in order!

To keep this endurance related...ummmm I'll describe the ridge I was
searching as one that I can get Kaboot to hit a 180 heart rate climbing
and I have even more respect for the work he does after climbing all over
it for 4 hours!

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!