Re: [RC] Bell boots - Ed & Wendy Hauser

20 years ago I rode a QH with a tremendous stride.  Until he learned to spread his rear legs, he periodically would hit his front.  I tried all types of bell boots  I found:

1. The latex rubber pull on ones would shred and pull off after a really good hit. If fit properly they are hard to pull on at 4:30 AM as the RM is calling "Trail open"
2. Those made with Velcro attachments were fine until mud would cake in the Velcro, then the Velcro would come off and I'd loose the boot.
3. Leather ones were a mess when it was wet and muddy.
4. Shaped neoprene foam was fine until the Velcro died.
5. By far the best were the Westrop boots made from petals of vinyl and held on by a buckled strap.  They lasted a long time, a damaged petal could be replaced etc.  The only problem is they eventually became hard to get.  I don't even know if they still are being made.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875