Re: [RC] Conditioning an older horse??? - Chris Paus

Thanks Heidi and Louise... I think Szybki could do it.
He's very sane and sensible, even around mares in
heat. I rode him on the road today for my first time
out of the pasture with him. He was fine with our 3
dogs running around him and my grandson riding around
us on a bicycle. We rode past my pasture where one of
my mares is in flaming heat. she galloped up to the
fence to call to him. He did a couple of dance steps,
but it only took a voice reprimand to remind him that
I was on his back and we were doing a job...

We rode places today that he has never been before and
he was fine.

I think his years on the track really were good in
getting him used to going places and being around lots
of commotion. He raced in Delaware, Florida, Kentucky
and Oklahoma, so he's been around the country and seen
and done a lot!

I would take him out camping a few times and getting
used to trails before venturing out in competition
with him, but I think he's got the brains to handle it
OK...

His body is very sound. He's got a lot of energy, but
it's very controllable. I'm completely smitten! LOL

chris
--- heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
 But you have to be careful with older stallions,
as they
can be very unpredictable.  We were very careful
to introduce him to
camping etc in small steps (the first one being
not to fight the horse
in the window tied to the trailer!) and make very
sure he was PERFECT
around other horses.

Actually, I've found older stallions to be some of
the most predictable
horses I've ever worked with.  They are all
individuals, so what you
"predict" will vary from horse to horse--but they
tend to be very true to
their own personalities.

We've had diametrically opposite experiences
(although entirely
successful) with different older stallions, but both
extremes were
entirely predictable based upon what we knew of the
horses from handling
them at home.

=====
Chris and Star